Friday, January 22, 2010

Thoughts on Psalm 42:1-2

As I have been reading and meditating for our study this week, I have been greatly moved with the idea that, in God, our souls find their home. In Psalms 42, the psalmist tells us, "As the hart (deer) panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God." I remember a few times I've been pretty thirsty and how that first sip of a cool glass of water brought me great pleasure. Why don't I have that kind of zeal in my spiritual life? Today when I read that psalm, I prayed, "God, why is it that I lack that passion to chase you?" The Lord replied, "It's in there." I felt that what He was saying is that we all have a passion to dwell with the Lord, but we perceive the sensation of the lack of an intimate relationship in different ways. I think it's the emptiness that we try to fill with food, drink, love, money, shopping....that is actually our desire to dwell with God in a meaningful and intimate way. Our daily devotion to Him, time spent in prayer and meditation can bring us closer, but I'm not sure we will ever fully achieve that wholeness until we enter in with Him into the place He has prepared for us. In John 14, Jesus said that he was going to prepare a place for us, that he would come again and receive us unto himself so that where he is, we may be also. He said we know where he's going and how to get there, and we do, don't we?

No comments:

Post a Comment